Fake Information for the 'Egg Aging' Propaganda: The Role of Experts and Journalists in Its Emergence, Authorization, and Radicalization (XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, July 2018, Toronto) (manuscript)
Author: Tanaka Sigeto (Tohoku University)
The belief that women rapidly lose their fertility as they age has been popularized using biological findings about "aging" of eggs (or oocytes) in the ovaries. Recently, Japan has experienced national propaganda based on such a belief. In the past decade, doctors and medical organizations have broadcasted information about age-related fertility decline for women in their 20s and 30s. Their theory has spread on mass media without any scrutiny, creating a social pressure on women to bear children as early as possible. Such information has also served as evidence for the government's pronatalist policy of getting young people married.
This paper traces the history of the belief and explores how it emerged, progressed, and spread as authorized "scientific" knowledge by focusing on the graphs frequently used to support the "egg aging" discourse.
A literature survey revealed the following facts that exemplify the role of traditional experts and journalists in creating the "post-fact" phenomena. The graphs, seemingly quoted from the scientific literature, were actually fabricated, falsified, trimmed, or misinterpreted. Doctors manipulated graphs, supported it with unreachable citations, and provided insufficient or distorted explanations about the data and methods. These techniques are being used in the field of obstetrics and gynecology since the 1980s. Journalists have recently contributed to the propaganda, using sensational language to polish the message. During the development and radicalization of the discourse, no social mechanism was performing the fact-checking function. The "egg aging" propaganda, endorsed by medical authorities, aroused people's feeling about the alarming prospect of the country's low birthrate and shrinking population. It eventually achieved hegemony in public debates in 2010s Japan. (See http://tsigeto.info/misconduct/ for details.)
Keywords: pseudoscience, medicine, gender, reproductive rights, fertility
Conference: XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology (July 2018, Toronto)
Session Selection: Scientific Knowledge and Expertise in a 'Post-Fact' Era (RC23: Sociology of Science and Technology)
Status: Accepted for oral presentation
Revised: 2017-11-30 on paper acceptance.
- Locating Family in the Gender Equality Politics: A Focus on Economic Situation after Divorce in Japan (Symposium "The Impact of the Humanities and Social Sciences: Discussing Germany and Japan" in Tokyo) 2017-11-14 (2017-11-14)
- Science as a Vital Point of Democracy: Lessons from the 'Egg Aging' Panic in 2010s Japan (2017-10-31)
- ウィメンズヘルスリテラシー協会 (2017-09-22)
- Hijacking the Policy-Making Process: Political Effects of the International Fertility Decision-Making Study for 2010s' Japan (XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, July 2018, Toronto) (manuscript) (2017-09-20)
- Fake Information for the 'Egg Aging' Propaganda: The Role of Experts and Journalists in Its Emergence, Authorization, and Radicalization (XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, July 2018, Toronto) (manuscript) (2017-09-20)
- 濫用される国際比較調査と日本の世論形成: International Fertility Decision-making Survey と少子化社会対策大綱 (第61回数理社会学会大会 2016-03-17) (2016-03-17)
- 【論文】「妊娠・出産に関する正しい知識」が意味するもの：プロパガンダのための科学? (2016-03-09)
- 11月30日（月）シンポジウム「高校保健・副教材にみる専門家の倫理と責任―データ改ざんと出産誘導」(東京ウィメンズプラザ) (2015-11-30)
- A Spider's-Eye View of National Sociologies: Web 2.0 Technologies to Go Beyond Borders (ISA Forum of Sociology, 2016 Vienna) (under review) (2015-09-30)
- Dynamics of Ideology and Institution: Probable Scenarios for Changes in Beliefs about Gender and Family in Japan (ISA Forum of Sociology, 2016 Vienna) 2016-07-11 (2015-09-30)
- 学会報告メモ即時公開の手順 (2015-06-14)
- Maintaining diversity in policy-oriented research (第88回日本社会学会大会 2015-09 報告申込、審査中) (2015-06-08)
- What will we witness when we seriously try to boost fertility? (第25回日本家族社会学会大会 2015-09 報告申込中) (2015-06-07)
- WLBと児童給付の経済的効果のシミュレーション (2015-05-26)
- 政府が本気で出生力増大に取り組んだら何が起きるのか? 普遍的児童給付政策の規範的制約 (2015-05-25)
Leave your comment
All items are optional (except the comment content). Posted comment will be immediately published, without preview/confirmation.
To pass my SPAM filter, include some non-ASCII characters more than 1% of Your Comment content. If you cannot type non-ASCII characters, copy & paste the star marks: ★☆★☆★☆.