Dynamics of Ideology and Institution: Probable Scenarios for Changes in Beliefs about Gender and Family in Japan (ISA Forum of Sociology, 2016 Vienna) 2016-07-11
Location: Hörsaal 34 (Main Building), Vienna University
Slides download: http://researchmap.jp/mun1bbek2-58901/
Handout download: http://researchmap.jp/mus6ubtp0-58901/
Title: Dynamics of Ideology and Institution: Probable Scenarios for Changes in Beliefs about Gender and Family in Japan
Author: TANAKA Sigeto (Tohoku University)
This paper put forward a proposal for elaborating ideology analysis. In parallel with development of empirical analysis to specify causality in the real social phenomena, we should develop methods for analysis of ideology to explore dynamics of what we perceive and think about the real society. Using them in combination, we obtain a powerful tool to foresee the future.
This paper proposes a framework of ideology-institution dynamics with causal modeling (IIDCM). IIDCM defines ideology as a system of interdependent beliefs classified into three categories: beliefs about facts (how the society is), about ideals (how the society should be), and about norms (what we should do). A feedback cycle is assumed as follows. We have beliefs about facts based on our observations of society. We have also beliefs about ideals as criteria to evaluate whether the social condition is good or bad. Such criteria and beliefs about facts jointly justify a norm to realize a better society. If the norm is institutionalized, it determines people’s action and brings social outcomes. And if we observe the social outcomes through empirical analysis, it will make changes in our beliefs about facts.
IIDCM theorizes relationships among ideology, institution, and people’s action. We can write a scenario and select the cast to predict social changes, using IIDCM as a basic framework. This paper takes an example of fertility issue in Japan. Political responses to low fertility in Japan since late-1980s have been too conservative to set ideological changes about gender and family. However, facing the population shrinking, the government (and people) are now seriously recognizing the necessity of drastic social changes. We can write probable scenarios, with the framework of IIDCM, according to what policy will be selected and how public opinion will change hegemonic ideology related to gender and family. (See http://tsigeto.info/iidcm/ for details)
Keywords: methodology, norm, policy, social change
Conference: 2016 Third ISA Forum of Sociology
Session Selection: Scenarios and Future Societies
Abstract URI: https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/forum2016/webprogram/Paper78902.html
This proposal was accepted as the last presentation of the session Scenarios and Future Societies (RC07: Future Research) organized by John Urry, 2016-07-11 (Monday) 10:45-12:15.
Link for slides file (tentative) added
- ウィメンズヘルスリテラシー協会 (2017-09-22)
- Hijacking the Policy-Making Process: Political Effects of the International Fertility Decision-Making Study for 2010s' Japan (XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, July 2018, Toronto) (manuscript) (2017-09-20)
- Fake Information for the 'Egg Aging' Propaganda: The Role of Experts and Journalists in Its Emergence, Authorization, and Radicalization (XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, July 2018, Toronto) (manuscript) (2017-09-20)
- 濫用される国際比較調査と日本の世論形成: International Fertility Decision-making Survey と少子化社会対策大綱 (第61回数理社会学会大会 2016-03-17) (2016-03-17)
- 【論文】「妊娠・出産に関する正しい知識」が意味するもの：プロパガンダのための科学? (2016-03-09)
- 11月30日（月）シンポジウム「高校保健・副教材にみる専門家の倫理と責任―データ改ざんと出産誘導」(東京ウィメンズプラザ) (2015-11-30)
- A Spider's-Eye View of National Sociologies: Web 2.0 Technologies to Go Beyond Borders (ISA Forum of Sociology, 2016 Vienna) (under review) (2015-09-30)
- Dynamics of Ideology and Institution: Probable Scenarios for Changes in Beliefs about Gender and Family in Japan (ISA Forum of Sociology, 2016 Vienna) 2016-07-11 (2015-09-30)
- 学会報告メモ即時公開の手順 (2015-06-14)
- Maintaining diversity in policy-oriented research (第88回日本社会学会大会 2015-09 報告申込、審査中) (2015-06-08)
- What will we witness when we seriously try to boost fertility? (第25回日本家族社会学会大会 2015-09 報告申込中) (2015-06-07)
- WLBと児童給付の経済的効果のシミュレーション (2015-05-26)
- 政府が本気で出生力増大に取り組んだら何が起きるのか? 普遍的児童給付政策の規範的制約 (2015-05-25)
- 政策研究の多様性のために (2015-05-17)
- Ideology-Institution Dynamics with Causal Modeling (2015-02-24)
Leave your comment
All items are optional (except the comment content). Posted comment will be immediately published, without preview/confirmation.
To pass my SPAM filter, include some non-ASCII characters more than 1% of Your Comment content. If you cannot type non-ASCII characters, copy & paste the star marks: ★☆★☆★☆.